Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Electric -V- Cogent UK IP Transit

Hi Guys,

Currently we run Cogent as IP Transit at 1Gbps which we are spiking near the limits.

My options are to upgrade Cogent to 10Gbps or see if we can move some of the traffic away.

Hurricane Electric are offering IP Transit over our existing Peering Session (Linx) which currently set set at 10Gbps

The Traffic Spikes via Cogent is USA Inbound Traffic.

Who is better for low latency Hurricane Electric or Cogent, Low Latency is the key.

Hmmm... I wouldn't put either down for low latency based on the way they do TE within their networks. Looking at the reporting I have access to, it looks like Cogent is generally slightly better than HE for the most part.

Not sure if NTT would be able to deliver over their LINX ports? Probably one worth asking about though.

Comment

Originally posted by uk26 View Post
      Hi Guys,

Currently we run Cogent as IP Transit at 1Gbps which we are spiking near the limits.

My options are to upgrade Cogent to 10Gbps or see if we can move some of the traffic away.

Hurricane Electric are offering IP Transit over our existing Peering Session (Linx) which currently set set at 10Gbps

The Traffic Spikes via Cogent is USA Inbound Traffic.

Who is better for low latency Hurricane Electric or Cogent, Low Latency is the key.

Low latency to/from where? Which geographical region(s)? Which ASN(s)?

Neither network is famed for being fantastic quality (although possibly undeservedly), with both having a focus on price.

HE peer extremely widely, so would seem more likely to have good latency from that point of view.
      HE's BGP communities are extremity lacking though (they've got blackhole support and that's it!), so don't expect to be able to either make intelligent routing decisions based on communities that they send to you or be able to influence their routing based on communities that they send you.

Cogent like to think that they're a tier-1, so you can find silly things like traffic going across the Atlantic just to come back again because they only connect with another large network in the US (I've definitely seen this with Cogent<->Sprint for example).

Of course, do bear in mind that if you put some of your transit on your peering that you are sharing fate and so you need to take that into account in not just your capacity planning but also your .

Given that you have data on Cogent already as an existing supplier and you'd be taking HE over an IXP, you could try asking HE to give you a 1 month trial (i.e. pay for a month without any commitment to continue) and then perform whatever measurements you require.

Have you tried performing any tests on HE via your existing peering with them? They have an extensive looking glass at https://lg.he.net.
      There's also an extremely handy tool which can be used for estimating backbone latency at https://he.net/layer2/.
      GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

Comment

Originally posted by SteveWright View Post
        Hmmm... I wouldn't put either down for low latency based on the way they do TE within their networks. Looking at the reporting I have access to, it looks like Cogent is generally slightly better than HE for the most part.

Not sure if NTT would be able to deliver over their LINX ports? Probably one worth asking about though.
        NTT's network is absolutely excellent and I would definitely pick them over Cogent or HE any day when interested in quality over price (although they're generally pretty competitive on price as well!).
        GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

Comment

Our traffic is largely UK for Voice (VoIP) and a growing number of customer leased lines.

So we need to ensure low latancy across most Broandband Providers.

Comment

Working...
          X