Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solaris x86 vps client tips ?

Hi all,
    After taking the plunge with a uk solaris x86 vps setup, i wondered if anyone had any solaris x86 memory tuning tips for a 256mb vps.
    Also should I request a second virtual disk and raid that as well if physical server is raid'd already ?

Colin

Originally posted by colinjmx5 View Post
    Also should I request a second virtual disk and raid that as well if physical server is raid'd already ?
    Not unless your host can guarantee you that each virtual disk is hosted on a separate physical array, otherwise you gain nothing reliability wise and probably not speed wise either.
    GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

Comment

I expect you'll struggle with Solaris with only 256MB of RAM.

Comment

memory usage seems ok

After testing this past week, it seems 21mb of free real ram from 256 real ram.

vps concept seems to be working

Col

Comment

That doesn't seem to be a lot of headroom :s
          Manuel Tuthill
          Regdotter.com - Cheap domain names .com's just £6.49
          █ Join Regdotter on Facebook for special offers.

Comment

memory headroom

from practical experience with sparc solaris at least, i would expect process's would be swapped out to swap if needed, yet to see this happen though on the vm

It has been interesting using vm x86 solaris that bind/sendmail/pop/5 virtual webs, perl,logrotate and os would work with 230mb but seems fast.
            The process's are executing faster than incoming requests so hence why i suspect it is not stressing the memory state.
            Cutting down svc services configured i thinks helps as well.

Comment

Working...
            X