Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions for a new(ish) server admin

Hi all.

I am in love with Linux and server admin, sad, I know. I have been learning on the job and seem to pick up the odd skill through necessity. I went from cpanel(shared) to webmin, to ispconfig(vps). I am starting to use more cli than anything else and wondered if this is the ultimate way forward....

So, do you still use/rely on a GUI or ultimately is the command line the best way forward. I find that ISPConfig is very good and configures the server the same way I would, i just have this silly niggle that I WANT FULL CONTROL! I like to know exactly what is being placed where and why

Am I being snobbish and really is a good GUI a sensible way forward.

What do you use? What have you discovered?

Originally posted by latitudehopper View Post
    Hi all.

I am in love with Linux and server admin, sad, I know. I have been learning on the job and seem to pick up the odd skill through necessity. I went from cpanel(shared) to webmin, to ispconfig(vps). I am starting to use more cli than anything else and wondered if this is the ultimate way forward....

So, do you still use/rely on a GUI or ultimately is the command line the best way forward. I find that ISPConfig is very good and configures the server the same way I would, i just have this silly niggle that I WANT FULL CONTROL! I like to know exactly what is being placed where and why

Am I being snobbish and really is a good GUI a sensible way forward.

What do you use? What have you discovered?
    I think most will say CLI is the best way to do things, as it gives you complete understanding of what does what and often allows more fine tuning than a GUI provides.

Saying that however, if operating more than 1 or 2 sites and definitely if offering shared hosting on it I'd say a solid GUI control panel like cPanel is best way to go for everyday functions like managing accounts etc.

Best to know how to do it in CLI, and simply use the GUI when it's easier :-)
    Dan Rodgers - Director & Domains Expert - allthe.domains
    Domains | UK SSD Hosting | Fully Managed WordPress
    :: Nominet & CentralNic Accredited :: 800+ Domain Extensions Supported :: 24x7x365 UK-based Support ::
    Views are my own and not those of my employer or any other company I own/represent.

Comment

Working...
    X