Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent SAN options......

Hi guys

In the past I've used self-build storage (supermicro and a tonne of disks), I've used lesser known SAN providers like iStor and well known stuff like Equallogic. I have to say, it does seem to be a case of you get what you pay for. Cheaper units all seem great until you drop disks or have a controller failure, thats what generally sets the men apart from the boys. At Titan we eventually settled on Equallogic as a ronseal product at not too bad a pricepoint.

I'm building a new company with a high quality vCloud offering and so need decent storage. I've heard plenty of bad stories about Netapp from a licensing/sales/lock-in perspective and I'm not sure I rate their products any differently to EMC so I'll discount them. EMC have the new VNX series which seem pretty fair. I did an eval on Nimble a while back and thought it was decent, but a little put off by the fact it was commodity hardware at a crazy pricetag. I do want vmware HCL and decent feature support, so that kinda rules out a lot of the entry level players.....I think.....

I see OCZ have bought SanRad and now offer a combo of Z-Drive flash storage in hosts with VXL software management to accelerate SAN by using local flash. EMC have a similar thing vCache.

Anyone any recommendations? I'm interested in hearing from people using VMware/Veeam...

cheers
    lee.

Take a good look at Synology - sure the bugdet end of the market, but heartily recommended by us and others on here..
    Peter Knapp - CCS Leeds Ltd - www.ccsleeds.co.uk
    Coal Road, Leeds. LS14 2AQ / Co. reg: 03507910 / VAT reg: GB 698 2027 05 / Tel: 0113 294 66 99
    UK Leased Lines | Hosted VoIP & SIP Trunks | EFM - Ethernet First Mile
    Free Install and Cisco Router on Fully Managed EFM at up to 20Mb/s only £300 per month

Comment

Ibm - not used them personally but heard good things.
      Last edited by Matt-p; 18th May 2012, 06:13 PM.

Comment

We use the IBM v7000 here, its awesome. The SSD tiering boost is really noticeable and the performance obliterates the Dell.

IBM Storwize V7000 | IT PRO Reviews
        [Any views expressed on this forum are my own, and may not represent the views of any organisation that I own or am connected with.]

Comment

Out of interest, is there a reason you're not going with EQL again?
          [fil]

Comment

Hi Dan

The EQL are a fantastic choice for small to medium, or if you have a customer who wants his private storage. However unless you "invest" in the 6xxx series you cannot pool the storage, and in any event I'm uneasy about accessing storage which is split over a number of what are effectively standalone units. You also effectively have to manually tier your data. We had a fair few of these at Titan and its fair to say that as customers grow and need more space, whilst you try and maintain storage efficiency, it causes a lot of work for your admin guys. Better off having the concept of controllers and disk trays for growth.

Cheers Jamie, I'll check out the IBM.

As for the synology - no, not for us. Something doesn't make sense with their performance results - there should be no real difference between 4 x1Gb and 10Gb on random IOPS yet the figures are very different indeed. Bit odd. But you can tell its not suitable, not even rackmount ! Looks good for an office based fileserver but not a true enterprise SAN imho.

cheers
            Lee.

Comment

Originally posted by BillPayer View Post
              As for the synology - no, not for us. Something doesn't make sense with their performance results - there should be no real difference between 4 x1Gb and 10Gb on random IOPS yet the figures are very different indeed. Bit odd. But you can tell its not suitable, not even rackmount ! Looks good for an office based fileserver but not a true enterprise SAN imho.
              There are rackmount versions of them, our customers have them in use. They are effectively single controller though as they are just an x86 system hooked up a load of local disks running some Linux software for NAS and SAN (iSCSI). Not what you're looking for really.

Have you looked at HP 3PAR? I seem to recall Steve Wright from Dedipower/Pulsant raving about how great they are for service providers.
              GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

Comment

Originally posted by Ed-Freethought View Post
                There are rackmount versions of them, our customers have them in use. They are effectively single controller though as they are just an x86 system hooked up a load of local disks running some Linux software for NAS and SAN (iSCSI). Not what you're looking for really.

Have you looked at HP 3PAR? I seem to recall Steve Wright from Dedipower/Pulsant raving about how great they are for service providers.
                One of Titan's customers bought a 3Par. They seem to come in two sizes, huge and ucking huge ;-)

I'm probably looking at a £50k unit initially with plenty of growth.

cheers
                Lee.

Comment

You'd probably do well to look at HP EVA then or HP P4000 - they should both be in your price range and you can pick your approach;
                  EVA - classic controllers + many shelves with Disk pooling and redundancy overlay
                  P4000 - scale out storage that sticks together like the 3PAR stuff
                  Adam Gent
                  Cadence Networks Ltd - cadence.net.uk
                  Cloud Servers | Connectivity | Reliable Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by adam-CCPG View Post
                    You'd probably do well to look at HP EVA then or HP P4000 - they should both be in your price range and you can pick your approach;
                    EVA - classic controllers + many shelves with Disk pooling and redundancy overlay
                    P4000 - scale out storage that sticks together like the 3PAR stuff
                    EVAs are big and heavy and I hope I never have to move one ever again
                    GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

Comment

Originally posted by BillPayer View Post

cheers
                      Lee.
                      As Ed said, the RS versions = rack shaped. The performance of the 33/34 series is blinding - you can flatten LACP'ed 4GB without issue although I've not actually battered them at 10GB yet. Yes, they are commodity server territory - although do come with HS PSU's on the bigger models. For the price one of the things we really like is LUN mirroring. Just installed 3 x RS33's and a RS22 in the new town site - mirrored around 60TB over two days and essentially they are now a close to live mirror of the set in the DC. They are not hot/hot to be fair, it is a remote backup, but we really can't complain for the money...
                      Peter Knapp - CCS Leeds Ltd - www.ccsleeds.co.uk
                      Coal Road, Leeds. LS14 2AQ / Co. reg: 03507910 / VAT reg: GB 698 2027 05 / Tel: 0113 294 66 99
                      UK Leased Lines | Hosted VoIP & SIP Trunks | EFM - Ethernet First Mile
                      Free Install and Cisco Router on Fully Managed EFM at up to 20Mb/s only £300 per month

Comment

Working...
                      X