Cloud hosting..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloud hosting..?

I'm starting to understand the important of VPS and dedicated hosting. It allows your site to load faster and have minimal problems because you don't have to share resources with other people, especially when handling high traffic sites.
    Anyway, when I was looking around for good VPS hosting, I came across something called cloud hosting. I know it s been there for a while but I really have no idea about the difference. Can anyone lay it out for me in layman's terms?
    vpswebserver.com - Free Setup Managed VPS Hosting Dedicated hardware Hyper-V Virtualization forum

Hello
    Dedicated hosting is best Web Hosting Company India | Dedicated Servers | Cloud Server Hosting| Domain Name Registration Services
    Last edited by Jon-RackSRV; 30th January 2013, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Depends entirely on what the provider considers a cloud - for some it's nothing more than the standard shared hosting they've always done with a new "marketing" slant, for others it's just a VPS, and for some it's a High-Availability virtualised setup.

Sadly there's not even rough consensus as to what it means, let alone a standard for it ...
      Rob Golding Astutium Ltd AS#29527 Company#08183381 Phone#020 3475 2555
      Domain Name Registration - uk domains just £5.55/2 years | DNS Services | Web Hosting from £2.95 | Minecraft Servers from £2.50
      London Docklands Colocation 1u £49.95 | Virtual Private Servers from £4 | Virtual Dedicated Servers from £12 | Managed + Unmanaged Dedicated Servers from £69
      Make more money from domains - Talk to me about our Domain Reseller Accounts and WHMCS modules

Comment

As othelloRob said there are many things that a provider could call "Cloud", we see them as the following when looking as providers websites:

Shared Cloud = Virtual instances on a private cloud with SAN drives that operate cPanel/Plesk etc hosting. The same as normal shared hosting on a dedicated server but with the cloud structure
        Virtual Private Cloud = Much like a VPS but hosted on a private cloud and using SAN drives
        Private Cloud = The expensive option but this is where the entire setup is dedicated to the company and they are able to setup cloud instances using software such as VMWare OnApp etc.

Also cloud does not really mean 100% uptime, even though that is what is advertised (mainly advertised as network uptime) as the cloud environment can still fail just like a dedicated server. It's just less likely it will fail.

I hope this helps some what. If you are looking at going to a cloud setup make sure they company is good and not just install OnApp on a single server and calling it a cloud setup. Go for one that displays their private cloud systems and explains how they work.
        Host Media - Web hosting since 2008

Comment

Cloud = (supposed to) redundant VPS.
          Imagine if physical server that hosts your VPS fails - you're off-line until it's repaired.
          With cloud setup in the same scenario your VPS would be automatically migrated to another server - you wouldn't even notice.
          In reality it's not always the case especially with very cheap or small hosts.
          Good VPS from reliable provider will be better than mediocre cloud server.

Comment

The term cloud is slightly annoying and I agree with _d_ and hostmedia - for me if it's cloud I would expect some redundancy which involves more expensive kit such as SAN's and multiple hypervisor hosts etc if these things don't exist then I would say it's a VPS. I used to work for a company (the name of which I won't mention) decided to put the term cloud on some very over packed OpenVZ hosting and IMHO I don't think this type of marketing is very moral - it sounds awesome to someone without the understanding of what the majority of us think "cloud" should mean - just that's it's new and upcoming thing and they should probably have it and thus get sold down the river.

I did hear about some sort of a more official definition - I'll see if I can find the paper I read and post it here

Hope this helps
            Billy Howard
            NodeUK Limited
            VPS | Dedicated Servers | Web Hosting | Domains
            www.nodeuk.com

Comment

The main benefits of Cloud hosting are well discussed by the hosting users at the next spam
              Last edited by Ed-Freethought; 8th February 2013, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hostmedia View Post
                not just install OnApp on a single server and calling it a cloud setup. Go for one that displays their private cloud systems and explains how they work.
                Just a quick note, OnApp actually can not be installed on a single server. Hardware configs |*OnApp << check out the requirements here
                You need quite a beefy setup to get cracking. And, OnApp is minimum $500/month for the software alone.

D

Comment

Originally posted by ditlev View Post
                  And, OnApp is minimum $500/month for the software alone.
                  Unless you only have 16 cores and use the free version
                  GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

Comment

Originally posted by Ed-Freethought View Post
                    Unless you only have 16 cores and use the free version
                    true - still doesn't fit on a single server though.

Comment

Originally posted by ditlev View Post
                      true - still doesn't fit on a single server though.
                      BTW how does OnApp account for cores is it a case of if hyperthreading is on then a HT core is counted as a core if off then just per physical core? Also is a core (or any ram) set aside for the host os?

Comment

Originally posted by connected View Post
                        BTW how does OnApp account for cores is it a case of if hyperthreading is on then a HT core is counted as a core if off then just per physical core?
                        OnApp only account for physical cores. So, HT is ignored from a billing perspective

Originally posted by connected View Post
                        Also is a core (or any ram) set aside for the host os?
                        That question is a bit tricky as the overhead of the Host is very much dependent on what the host is doing. Like, with OnApp you have the option to distribute your storage across the hypervisors using our distributed storage platform, however if you do that the overhead on the host will be higher, and you are looking at a core+1gig of ram.

D

Comment

If the company offers true cloud hosting solution which means real redundancy (connected at least two physical servers, each has VM who can travel between them), go for it, but a lot of companies, especially the ones with low prices, just call by this name standard VPS solution who has nothing to do with cloud infrastructure.

Comment

Originally posted by yesjack
                            maybe you can search some information from google.
                            Thank you for your helpful insight...
                            GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

Comment

It varies a lot, with the Tsohost cloud it's a share platform with many front end webservers connecting to redundant backend storage, so requests can be served by many webservers offering some impressive scaling in terms of number of requests it's able to handle. It's a great big cluster of servers with each server designed specifically for it's function, which is somewhat nicer than the standard shove it all on one box making it pretty hard to optimise for the required task(s).
                              Dan Rodgers - Director & Domains Expert - allthe.domains
                              Domains | UK SSD Hosting | Fully Managed WordPress
                              :: Nominet & CentralNic Accredited :: 800+ Domain Extensions Supported :: 24x7x365 UK-based Support ::
                              Views are my own and not those of my employer or any other company I own/represent.

Comment

Working...
                              X