How to fix we are out of IPs at the moment in a data center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix we are out of IPs at the moment in a data center

A data center with no IPs is like a glass with no water when your trusty you should be able to buy blocks buy say of 100 proposed IPs not really issued yet and as you need them on say provision of a vps it automatically assign two at a time so you never run out. So lets say your running a vps services you tell the data center give me a block of 100 IPs you pay a small fee for the block but instead of giving you 100 IPs it just gives you access to them, now when you sell one vps it allocates two IPs or four IPs that way you have the potential for 100 IPs but your only using say two at one moment and you don't have say 10 just sitting around. You would never run out of IPs and the excess use around the world would be removed.
    Sonwebhost
    Shared Reseller VPS Dedicated Hosting

You can't "fix" the fact that there simply aren't enough IPv4 addresses. The IPv4 address space is ~4 billion, there are >7 billion humans on the planet...
    As more and more people connect to the Internet, the demand on addresses is only going to increase. You can temporarily work around it with technologies like CGN, but you are just delaying the inevitable.
    GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

Comment

Originally posted by Sonwebhost View Post
      A data center with no IPs is like a glass with no water when your trusty you should be able to buy blocks buy say of 100 proposed IPs not really issued yet and as you need them on say provision of a vps it automatically assign two at a time so you never run out. So lets say your running a vps services you tell the data center give me a block of 100 IPs you pay a small fee for the block but instead of giving you 100 IPs it just gives you access to them, now when you sell one vps it allocates two IPs or four IPs that way you have the potential for 100 IPs but your only using say two at one moment and you don't have say 10 just sitting around. You would never run out of IPs and the excess use around the world would be removed.
      Sadly this, whilst maybe a good idea in concept, is somewhat less practical in application.

IPv6 will remove the need for such "fudge" methods completely. Instead of making all the effort to implement the above, it would be far easier to just adopt IPv6. As Ed mentions, anything else is just delaying the inevitable.
      Jonathan Halewood

Virgo Networks - High Quality Web Hosting & Network Services, from Newcastle and the North of England.
      Standard & Reseller packages available.
      UK based support from experienced technical staff.
      Prices start from £2.00 per month.

Comment

I'm sure if more than 1 ip on a server cost a suitable amount per month, people would all start to use their ip's more efficiently.
        Admin for Webhostchat.co.uk

Comment

Welcome to 1998 when the run-out of IPv4 was 'fixed' by proposing IPv6 ....

Originally posted by Sonwebhost View Post
          A data center with no IPs
          In the main, DC's dont need, use or allocate IPs, but largely what you're describing is DHCP which no large provider uses (for various reasons).

It's not all doom-and-gloom if you absolutely need an IPv4 address - you simply need to rethink your budget and your supplier !
          Rob Golding Astutium Ltd AS#29527 Company#08183381 Phone#020 3475 2555
          Domain Name Registration - uk domains just £5.55/2 years | DNS Services | Web Hosting from £2.95 | Minecraft Servers from £2.50
          London Docklands Colocation 1u £49.95 | Virtual Private Servers from £4 | Virtual Dedicated Servers from £12 | Managed + Unmanaged Dedicated Servers from £69
          Make more money from domains - Talk to me about our Domain Reseller Accounts and WHMCS modules

Comment

In my opinion one IP address is enough for a server unless you are doing some sort of hosting

Comment

Originally posted by N0DESMART View Post
              In my opinion one IP address is enough for a server unless you are doing some sort of hosting
              Hosting needs more than 1 IP address? Can I introduce you to named-based virtual hosts?

Comment

Working...
              X