Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is high availability a feature of cloud hosting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is high availability a feature of cloud hosting?

While researching the features of cloud hosting last week, I noticed that Wikipedia makes no mention of high availability.
    Yes by default
    81.82%
    Yes through app architecture
    18.18%
    No
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Michael Follett

It depends,

Do you mean high availability of the VM (like VMWare fault tolerance), or of the Infrastructure (self healing headunits etc)?
    [Any views expressed on this forum are my own, and may not represent the views of any organisation that I own or am connected with.]

Comment

Originally posted by mfollett View Post
      Is high availability a feature of cloud hosting?
      All too often; no.

Should high availability be a feature of cloud hosting?
      Yes, in some form.
      GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

Comment

I vote yes - otherwise it's just a VPS.
        Ricky Blaikie - Senior Hosting Consultant -Host Consult Ltd
        TEL: +44 (0) 20 3002 7992 WEB: http://www.host-consult.net
        * Colocation * Dedicated and Cloud Hosting * Connectivity * VDC * VOIP *

Comment

Originally posted by JamieBeeston View Post
          It depends,

Do you mean high availability of the VM (like VMWare fault tolerance), or of the Infrastructure (self healing headunits etc)?
          I would say from the end user's point of view it does not matter as downtime has the same effect, I would say overall.
          Michael Follett

Comment

I would say from the end user's point of view it does not matter as downtime has the same effect, I would say overall.
            Well, actually no, as the former prevents downtime, the latter prevents prolonged downtime.

In theory at least.
            [Any views expressed on this forum are my own, and may not represent the views of any organisation that I own or am connected with.]

Comment

My favourite definition is Gartner's:

Gartner defines cloud computing as a style of computing in which scalable and elastic IT-enabled capabilities are delivered as a service using Internet technologies.
              Dominic Taylor - Director, Paragon Internet Group Ltd
              - UK hosting from £17/year +VAT
              Tel: 0800 862 0248
              Company No. 7573953

Comment

If it's online, it should all be 'high-availability' or you've picked the wrong provider !
                Rob Golding Astutium Ltd AS#29527 Company#08183381 Phone#020 3475 2555
                Domain Name Registration - uk domains just £5.55/2 years | DNS Services | Web Hosting from £2.95 | Minecraft Servers from £2.50
                London Docklands Colocation 1u £49.95 | Virtual Private Servers from £4 | Virtual Dedicated Servers from £12 | Managed + Unmanaged Dedicated Servers from £69
                Make more money from domains - Talk to me about our Domain Reseller Accounts and WHMCS modules

Comment

While researching the features of cloud hosting last week, I noticed that Wikipedia makes no mention of high availability.
                  I'm not sure if I should be shocked that an undefined term isn't well defined. You could always edit Wikipedia yourself to mention high availability if it makes you feel better.
                  Manuel Tuthill
                  Regdotter.com - Cheap domain names .com's just £6.49
                  █ Join Regdotter on Facebook for special offers.

Comment

Yes always or it can be a pain

Comment

I wouldn't say it has to be built in high-availability. For example you can get an instance on AWS and it can die with everything on it. AWS is the largest "cloud" in the world, but every instance doesn't have built in HA. However you can add more and more resources, scale up and down, and by using mutiple availability zones and even regions you can introduce HA.

I'd say the main idea of "cloud" when it was introduced was the ability for elastic scalable computing power & bandwidth. HA has always been the glamour factor for enterprise cloud hosting.
                      OSHS Services - DNS Clusters | R1Soft Licenses | Remote Backup Storage | R1Soft CDP Storage | Cheap Dedicated Servers
                      EconDC.com - Enterprise UK Server Colo & Rack Space at Lowest Prices

Comment

VM cloudwear should be high availability and usually the price reflects the level of availability you should be receiving. The majority of VM cloud runs on mirrored SAN drives so that the data can be re-written on another drive should any hardware fail - providing extra redundancy and piece of mind
                        Removed due to violating forum signature rules -

Comment

Working...
                        X