Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPS for an ASP.net web based game with SQL server express

Hello

I am currently working on a web based game (aiming for 1000 or so users) which uses ASP.net developed web pages with an SQL server express database. There will also be a console application which needs to run every 6 hours.

Can anyone recommend a virtual server host which will give me enough access to accomplish the above, and would be scalable in case the game really did take off and attracted a few thou more users than I expected?

I dont want to pay more than £30 or 40...

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by rooq View Post
    Hello

I am currently working on a web based game (aiming for 1000 or so users) which uses ASP.net developed web pages with an SQL server express database. There will also be a console application which needs to run every 6 hours.

Can anyone recommend a virtual server host which will give me enough access to accomplish the above, and would be scalable in case the game really did take off and attracted a few thou more users than I expected?

I dont want to pay more than £30 or 40...

Thanks in advance!
    I think you're going to struggle with that budget once you factor Microsoft licensing costs in.
    GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

Comment

Express is free to use for commercial and personal use.
      The website has also been developed using express versions of Visual Studio Web and App - again free for both commercial and personal use.

Or is it that express sql server cannot be installed on a vps? Never done this before so I don't know.
      Last edited by rooq; 1st April 2014, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Express is free to use for commercial and personal use.
        The website has also been developed using express versions of Visual Studio Web and App - again free for both commercial and personal use.

Or is it that express sql server cannot be installed on a vps? Never done this before so I don't know.
        If you can use SQL Server express with your application (remember it has limits on the CPU, RAM and amount of data that it can store), then that will help, however you still need to license Microsoft Windows Server and there isn't a cheap web edition any more.

Comment

So to clarify..if I got windows VPS hosting from a company such as Hostek, I would have to pay for the windows server licence on top of what they charge me?

Comment

So to clarify..if I got windows VPS hosting from a company such as Hostek, I would have to pay for the windows server licence on top of what they charge me?
            You'd have to ask Hostek about their pricing model, however assuming that your £30-40/month budget is excluding VAT, then over 1/3 to 1/4 of that is going on the VPS provider's cost of providing the Windows license for a single processor socket.

Comment

Ok...cheers for the info!

I heard that another possibility is trying to get signed up for Bizspark and get a monthly Azure allowance which could include VMs and Sql server instances. Has anyone used this here?

Comment

Ok...cheers for the info!

I heard that another possibility is trying to get signed up for Bizspark and get a monthly Azure allowance which could include VMs and Sql server instances. Has anyone used this here?
                Most of us here are hosting companies and would shiver at the prospect of trusting Microsoft to run anything even remotely valuable.
                ••• Mark Castle •••

Comment

Originally posted by markcastle View Post
                  Most of us here are hosting companies and would shiver at the prospect of trusting Microsoft to run anything even remotely valuable.
                  Ha. Fair enough.

Ok going back to the OP, and ignoring my initial budget suggestion, and assuming sql server express will meet my needs at least for the first couple of years, anyone got any suggestions?

Comment

Ha. Fair enough.

Ok going back to the OP, and ignoring my initial budget suggestion, and assuming sql server express will meet my needs at least for the first couple of years, anyone got any suggestions?
                    Do you know what your requirements are in terms of CPU, RAM, disk space, data transfer etc?

Comment

40gb diskspace, 2gb RAM, duel core.

I'm not sure about data transfer...I would assume fairly low usage to begin with and scale up if required

Comment

Working...
                      X