Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPS "Real time" Monitoring software recommendation required

Hello everyone,

I was looking for some advice on what software i could use on our VPS's (WHM / CPanel on Centos 6.5) that we could use to monitor server performance. what we would like to do is setup some "dedicated" LCD displays in our IT office that can display the results in "real time" or as close to it as a permanent "always on" feature.

Something that can give you the "general" stats you want to see with a "dashboard" type of layout .... customisable would be great if you could decide what "widgets" you want to monitor.

WHM does not really have a decent enough servers status section where you can have everything in one place (or on one screen) our web host also has some sort of monitoring dashboard to tell you status of your VPS's but is once again basic, not customisable, cant display all the VPS's at once and most importantly you get logged out of the dashboard every 10mins of inactivity which is really no good for monitoring.

I hope i have explained myself well enough as too what i am looking for,

Thanks in advance.

Are you looking to monitor a single server locally (i.e. the software doing the monitoring and generating the dashboard will run on the machine which is being monitored) or are you looking for software to run on a monitoring server which in turn monitors one or more external devices?
    GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

Comment

Hi Ed, thanks for the fast response,

We have multiple VPS's with a provider so this is not local (it's offsite at a data centre) what i was thinking if we were to install software on the VPS itself to do the monitoring then we could either use a local machine to interface with that software and display the results to us graphically. If it was web based it would be fine as long as we could log in once and the information we see in the browser is "automatically" refreshed and remains logged in.

Or if we had to install the software both on the VPS as well as on the local machine that will be monitoring it on then that would also be fine.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_Jackson View Post
        Hi Ed, thanks for the fast response,

We have multiple VPS's with a provider so this is not local (it's offsite at a data centre) what i was thinking if we were to install software on the VPS itself to do the monitoring then we could either use a local machine to interface with that software and display the results to us graphically. If it was web based it would be fine as long as we could log in once and the information we see in the browser is "automatically" refreshed and remains logged in.

Or if we had to install the software both on the VPS as well as on the local machine that will be monitoring it on then that would also be fine.

Thanks,
        Hi Mark,

When I say local, I mean locally on the machine that you're monitoring.

If you're monitoring multiple machines, then it's normally best to do this with a centralised monitoring server and then agent software running on the machines. That way you collect and log all data in one place.

Ed

Comment

www.serverdensity.com

Comment

Sorry, misunderstood that was thinking remote or locally , yes i think that is what i am looking at doing, so was hoping to get some recommendations of what other users have already tried and tested.

Busy researching and reading up on whats out there at the moment, but wanted to see if there was some pitfalls i should be looking out for before we made our final choice.

Mark,

Comment

Thanks, Jhadley

Will check this out seems promising...

Comment

You decided on anything Mark?

Comment

Not sure yet, waiting for my current host to confirm that the server density software will work on our VPS's with accurate monitoring etc. once they do we will make decision but i think it seems to be the software solution we looking for (having tested it yet though, but looks promising from what i have read up about it from current users)

Comment

It does look good, would anyone be able to recommend something cheaper maybe?
                    Some of our clients would like to monitor their own servers but find the likes of serverdensity, monnit, newrelic, etc a bit too expensive and don't have the technical know how/patience to get Nagios/Sensu/Zabbix/Etc.. setup.

Comment

There are a couple of Server Density clones - which are more cost effective, but aren't nearly as polished. Here's one example:
                      https://nodequery.com/

I also built one some time ago that's open source but have since moved to Server Density:
                      https://github.com/LoadingDeck/Monitoring/

All of these should work on just about any server since they are Bash / Python implementations that just scrape the load, memory usage etc.

Comment

There is a tool which is Anturis, that is a cloud-based tool which is in fact all in one monitoring. But they offer services to monitor all kinds of servers. Here is the link to their page https://anturis.com/server-monitoring/ . The price is affordable and starts with $9 per month

Comment

Originally posted by barryherne View Post
                          There is a tool which is Anturis, that is a cloud-based tool which is in fact all in one monitoring. But they offer services to monitor all kinds of servers. Here is the link to their page https://anturis.com/server-monitoring/ . The price is affordable and starts with $9 per month
                          You may want to say that you're affiliated with Anturis.

Comment

Update!

Hi All,

Firstly i want to say thank you to those who have responded with suggestions and advice, i am by no means a "guru" at server monitoring software but after "checking out" a few and testing them. I have decided to go with https://www.serverdensity.com (my apologies if i was not supposed to post the link as i was not 100% sure if it was allowed).

My reason for going with them is that things were VERY EASY to setup and configure as some of the others were just "over the top" to configure. Anyway i am not affiliated to them in any way as a matter of fact one of the previous posters recommended i try them, so the main point for coming back here to say thank you and to let you guys know which solution have ticked all the boxes for us.

Regards,
                            Last edited by Mark_Jackson; 16th December 2014, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I am not affiliated with anybody at all. I am just using it.

Comment

Working...
                              X