Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is VPS enough for running a b2c eCommerce site

ASK FOR ADVICE, THANKS
    prepare to build a site and start a eCommerce business, I find many people say VPS hosting is good and economical, but I'm wondering if it is enough for a b2c site

Is this bucket big enough to carry some items in?

Give us some metrics Allen, if you are selling one item a year to someone then yes probably but it is impossible to even offer generic advice without some figures.
    Peter Knapp - CCS Leeds Ltd - www.ccsleeds.co.uk
    Coal Road, Leeds. LS14 2AQ / Co. reg: 03507910 / VAT reg: GB 698 2027 05 / Tel: 0113 294 66 99
    UK Leased Lines | Hosted VoIP & SIP Trunks | EFM - Ethernet First Mile
    Free Install and Cisco Router on Fully Managed EFM at up to 20Mb/s only £300 per month

Comment

It depends on what technology/framework/stack you're using for your site, and what sort of traffic volume you're expecting - you just asked us "how long's a piece of string".

If you're not sure how to answer those questions, you could start off with a cheap VPS, then if your site struggles to cope with load, upgrade the VPS. If you hit a point where it would be cheaper to run a dedicated server, or you find volume is such that you need multiple load-balanced servers switch over to that.

The fact that you're asking this question implies that you don't have a great deal of experience running servers; for something like an ecommerce site that lack of knowledge could be dangerous to you and your customers, so it might be worth considering a managed service so they can keep it patched and secure, and help you out when you run into problems.

Comment

Originally posted by allen f View Post
        I find many people say
        You need to ignore their advice as they clearly do not understand.
        Rob Golding Astutium Ltd AS#29527 Company#08183381 Phone#020 3475 2555
        Domain Name Registration - uk domains just £5.55/2 years | DNS Services | Web Hosting from £2.95 | Minecraft Servers from £2.50
        London Docklands Colocation 1u £49.95 | Virtual Private Servers from £4 | Virtual Dedicated Servers from £12 | Managed + Unmanaged Dedicated Servers from £69
        Make more money from domains - Talk to me about our Domain Reseller Accounts and WHMCS modules

Comment

It’s up to the traffic and visits of your site. If large, a VPS is obviously not enough. You can start your business using VPS. After achieving success and attracting massive visits, then transfer your website to a powerful dedicated server.

Comment

I would suggest you to go with cloud hosting servers like digital ocean they have the ability to handle many request and mostly never went down when there are too many users present.
            Last edited by Ed-Freethought; 23rd December 2015, 10:27 AM. Reason: Removed spam link that wasn't to Digital Ocean

Comment

Working...
            X