Redundancy - failover OS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah it is, 3 Months of testing to get it to work

Pay for siteuptime then if it dies at 2am it will text you There are many other services out their to do the same job so have a look round but siteuptime has been good for us 99.99% of the time, 2 false calls in 3 months isn't to bad lol
    Chris Daley
    DWebs Ltd :: Company No. 05603664 :: 0330 22 90 666
    DHosting.uk - Shared/Reseller Hosting, Dedicated Servers, Managed Hosting Solutions

My views are my own and not those of my company.

Comment

Originally posted by LeaUK2 View Post
      My concerns are based on my limited experience of setting up the base OS and running a web server for a month. For example, I had real problems upgrading mySQL 4 to 5 which ended up requiring a W2K3 reinstall, and that would have been a pain had the server been externally located - although with a remote KVM and a set of HDD images I think I could handled it. And yesterday the server was simply not responding, I made no changes - just dead for no appernt reason. A reboot sorted it but how long was it down? Could have been all night!?
      In that case, if you really did want to still go the VPS route, perhaps just a single server / single VPS instance would do if you just took a snapshot of it every night or something. I don't use VPS's that much so i'm not sure if thats do-able and scriptable, but i'm sure others here would know.
      ••• Mark Castle •••

Comment

Assuming I don't use multiple VPSs then I see no reason for VPS at all to be honest. I can schedule Acronis True Image to create images weekly and daily so that should cover most eventualities.... I think....

Cheers
        Mark

Comment

Assuming I don't use multiple VPSs then I see no reason for VPS at all to be honest. I can schedule Acronis True Image to create images weekly and daily so that should cover most eventualities.... I think....

Cheers
          Mark
          The problem would come if you broke the server and couldn't remotely access it to restore the image. With VPS's (I'm not recommending this, but it's an option) you can install the host OS and just leave it to work and only access the host OS to restart/reimage/restore the VPS. This obviously doesn't help in hardware failure situations, but helps with software problems, but then you need to consider that VPS software IS adding some additional complexity to the situation.

Acronis has a good reputation though, so if you have a way of restoring the backups remotely this is probably the best way to go.
          Andrew Cranson :: Director of Operations

Layershift :: UK, New York, Singapore :: Managed Cloud VPS, Dedicated, and Complex Hosting
          Find out what fully managed hosting really means!

Company Number: 6036217 / VAT Number: GB903034962

Comment

My thoughts were to use my own remote KVM (if ISP doesn't supply) so in the event of OS failure I simply APC reboot and boot from either Acronis hidden partition or CD having the Acronis boot loader. Then select an appropriate image.

I'm focusing on software because the probability of me screwing something when adding new 'features' to my server is quite high. ie my example of simply upgrading from mySQL 4 to 5 sent he server into major decline...that's the real reason.

From a failover point of view I now have setuptime.com monitoring so at least I'll know when things are problematic :-) and can resolve or simply if desperate re-image

With regards to the hardware side, I think 'm resolved to hardware failure = trip to the ISP :emote_grn

Cheers all, great tips.

Lea

Comment

Why not look for 2 VPS's on different harware and layer 4 load-balance them ?

This way you have a fully fault tollerant system without s SPOF.
              UK VPS with the performance you deserve
              www.clustered.net

Comment

With regards to the hardware side, I think 'm resolved to hardware failure = trip to the ISP :emote_grn

Lea
                You'd also be able to ask your host tocheck the server for you, to see if there are any warning signs (such as the 4 LED's (A,B,C,D) on the Dell products, where as say if A+D were lit, it'd mean one thing, etc) - or simply to have a check for the HDD LEDs, to see if one was red, say, indicating a possible failure - this way you'd be able to have the chance to take some spares that you may not have taken down with you.. saving you mad panic trying to find a retailer in the docklands...

Which, for reference: http://www.gnd.com/maptognd.htm

You mentioned resource usages too, in a previous post.. You'd be able to install quota's to limit the users amount of resources (for example, I *think* some VPSs, such as Xen allow you to limit the % of CPU that can be used by each VPS (or perhaps process)), then you've the standard HDD limits, etc etc. In the case I was mentioning, the client had installed some dodgy items, and was messing with MySQL and the log ate up the diskspace.

Saying that though, it's happened to me before too
                A very welcome new user!
                Sig is gone! Please read the sig rules before applying one!

Comment

such as the 4 LED's (A,B,C,D

Good tip Chris - thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X