X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dollars for America trip

Hi,

I'm going to New York for 7 days in Feb, 2nd part of my honeymoon

What's the best way to sort out some dollars? What about cards you can pre-load with cash that sometimes have decent conversion rates?
    James Smith,
    M247.com - Colocation, Cloud, Managed Services, Connectivity, Leased Lines, ADSL
    VAT: 828 2971 96 Company Number: 04928706
    LinkedIn

I got euros and Croatian kuna from Iceplc when I went paintballing in Croatia back in 2011 next day special delivery but will only send to the registered card address for obvious reasons.

I think they will also do you a pre loaded card as well but where I was (island in the middle of Adriatic sea) cash was king
    Simon Gunton
    The views expressed in the above post are mine alone and not necessarily those of anyone else

Comment

AceFX to buy your hard currency, and CaxtonFX or FairFX for a pre-loaded card. CaxtonFX recently introduced a really swish app that tops up incredibly quickly, so you can be in the line somewhere, check the balance and top up (from a saved UK debit card) and have the funds activated before you reach the counter.

Enjoy NY (and congrats!)!
      I'm heading to LAX/SJC/SFO then YVR at the end of Jan / beginning of Feb. Tried desperately to include a NY stop but alas, couldn't make that happen.
      Last edited by JSamuel; 25th December 2013, 02:50 PM.
      Joel Samuel
      WebHostChat Admin

Tin Label Group[/COLOR]

I represent my own views and not those of my companies or the forum(s) on which I moderate.[/SIZE]

Comment

I'd just use my visa / mastercard. Rates aren't "that" bad and I don't get charged any fees. Maybe get a few hundred dollars for those non-cash moments.
        Jon Rohan

Please note: My views are my own and not those of the company I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by JonRohan View Post
          I'd just use my visa / mastercard. Rates aren't "that" bad and I don't get charged any fees. Maybe get a few hundred dollars for those non-cash moments.
          I tend to load my CaxtonFX on-the-go (it's a visa) and use that for cash, as that saves me the £3 + 2.99% a UK debit/credit provider would charge me. I then use AmEx for POS, or my CaxtonFX again if they don't take AmEx... CaxtonFX provide a nifty CSV export function from their main site, so quite handy for expense sheets too.
          Last edited by JSamuel; 25th December 2013, 09:19 PM.
          Joel Samuel
          WebHostChat Admin

Tin Label Group[/COLOR]

I represent my own views and not those of my companies or the forum(s) on which I moderate.[/SIZE]

Comment

Used to have a caxton card, now I use a halifax clarity credit card, no conversion fees and no fee for getting cash out. Saves faffing with loading money on
            Paul Redpath - catalyst2
            UK Managed Hosting - 0800 107 7979
            Company No: NI049920 VAT No: 835 3666 10

Comment

Originally posted by paul-cat2 View Post
              Used to have a caxton card, now I use a halifax clarity credit card, no conversion fees and no fee for getting cash out. Saves faffing with loading money on
              But you're taking cash out on a credit card, so you'll be paying the cash advance fee from the cash transaction all the way through to when you paydown your statement? Or do you send funds to your card between statements?
              Joel Samuel
              WebHostChat Admin

Tin Label Group[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by JonRohan View Post
                I do the same thing, plus I get 2% back on my credit card as travel rewards.

Comment

Originally posted by JSamuel View Post
                  But you're taking cash out on a credit card, so you'll be paying the cash advance fee from the cash transaction all the way through to when you paydown your statement? Or do you send funds to your card between statements?
                  For the amount of times I get cash out on it, the cost is negligible, may not work for everyone
                  Paul Redpath - catalyst2
                  UK Managed Hosting - 0800 107 7979
                  Company No: NI049920 VAT No: 835 3666 10

Comment

Originally posted by James[UH] View Post
                    What's the best way to sort out some dollars?
                    #1 have a US bank and use that account while you're out there
                    #2 get a decent bank account from someone who doesn't gouge you on overseas rates/fees on debit cards
                    #3 get a caxton card

For 'cash' USD from Amex, free to change back and extra airmiles worked out the best deal last time I went.
                    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd AS#29527 Company#08183381 Phone#020 3475 2555
                    Domain Name Registration - uk domains just £5.55/2 years | DNS Services | Web Hosting from £2.95 | Minecraft Servers from £2.50
                    London Docklands Colocation 1u £49.95 | Virtual Private Servers from £4 | Virtual Dedicated Servers from £12 | Managed + Unmanaged Dedicated Servers from £69
                    Make more money from domains - Talk to me about our Domain Reseller Accounts and WHMCS modules

Comment

Originally posted by JSamuel View Post
                      The only thing you pay on Halifax Clarity is interest from when you withdraw the money. There is no cash advance fee with Clarity. The interest works out to about 1.something% per month, but if you set up a DD to clear the card automatically each month it's going to be negligible compared to the rate you're getting.

Comment

Thanks Paul/Darren
                        Clarity card applied for, should have it in-hand long before I fly. (That said, last time I went on a ~4 week trip... I left my Caxton card sat on my desk at home and realised moment I got to Heathrow.)
                        Joel Samuel
                        WebHostChat Admin

Tin Label Group[/COLOR]

Comment

Might be worth looking at opening an account at the metro bank if you're planning to go to london before you travel - free cash withdrawals abroad. You have to go in in person to create the account, but they don't care where you live in the country and it's pretty quick to open the account - then you manage it through online banking.

Comment

Not just London, they are spreading out now. Just had one open in Reading a few months ago and I think they have one in Brighton now.
                            Manuel Tuthill
                            Regdotter.com - Cheap domain names .com's just £6.49
                            █ Join Regdotter on Facebook for special offers.

Comment

Originally posted by burble View Post
                              Might be worth looking at opening an account at the metro bank if you're planning to go to london before you travel - free cash withdrawals abroad. You have to go in in person to create the account, but they don't care where you live in the country and it's pretty quick to open the account - then you manage it through online banking.
                              Pass
                              Joel Samuel
                              WebHostChat Admin

Tin Label Group[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X