GoDaddy shill advertising on WHC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoDaddy shill advertising on WHC

I see that following the two month long migration to vBulletin Cloud, GoDaddy have now started abusing the forum to misleadingly advertise services for their brands under the guise of "The Best Web Hosting Providers of 2019".

Isn't it convenient that having apparently "reviewed all the web hosting providers in the UK", they mysteriously only feature brands which they own: https://webhostchat.co.uk/4-best-web-hosting-providers.

Whilst the "review" pages for each of the four GoDaddy brands does have "This comparison tool is owned by Go Daddy. Copyright © 2019 GoDaddy Operating Company, LLC." hidden away at the bottom, the main comparison itself does not even have the common decency to state this.

Is this what the loyal WHC user base should expect going forwards? The forum will become nothing more than a platform for GoDaddy's misleading shill advertising?
    GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

Hello Ed,

The WebHost Chat forum is operated by Pargon Internet (the operators of TSOHost) and Pargon Internet was subsequently purchased by GoDaddy, therefore the forum is wholly owned by GoDaddy and they are free to advertise themselves as they see fit.

Reference Material:

Within Welcome Email: If you are still having problems signing up please contact a member of our support staff at [email protected]
    Within Website Footer: © Paragon Internet Group 2019. All Rights Reserved.

All The Best,

Kieran from HostLeaf

Comment

Originally posted by HostLeaf View Post
      Hello Ed,

The WebHost Chat forum is operated by Pargon Internet (the operators of TSOHost) and Pargon Internet was subsequently purchased by GoDaddy, therefore the forum is wholly owned by GoDaddy and they are free to advertise themselves as they see fit.

Reference Material:

Within Welcome Email: If you are still having problems signing up please contact a member of our support staff at [email protected]
      Within Website Footer: © Paragon Internet Group 2019. All Rights Reserved.

All The Best,

Kieran from HostLeaf
      Yes, I'm fully aware that GoDaddy have owned the forum for over two years now via their acquisition of Host Europe. That doesn't however mean that they can abuse WHC's name to give the illusion of independent reviews for their deliberately deceptive and misleading adverts.

Who are HostLeaf exactly? I see you joined just to reply to this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed-Freethought View Post
        Yes, I'm fully aware that GoDaddy have owned the forum for over two years now via their acquisition of Host Europe. That doesn't however mean that they can abuse WHC's name to give the illusion of independent reviews for their deliberately deceptive and misleading adverts.
        Actually, it kind of does give them that ability to do what they want with it.

Now, if the adverts are deceptive and misleading (which I think would be stretching it a little far), then their are other recourses of action for that.

WHC is a dying forum (almost dead), and while we've all got fond memories of the good times and information sharing that used to happen here, I think the prospect of that being a reality going forwards is quite slim

Comment

Originally posted by SteveWright View Post
          Actually, it kind of does give them that ability to do what they want with it.
          Within the boundaries of the relevant legislation.

Now, if the adverts are deceptive and misleading (which I think would be stretching it a little far), then their are other recourses of action for that.
          I would encourage anyone who thinks that this behaviour is unacceptable to start by making a complaint with the ASA.

WHC is a dying forum (almost dead), and while we've all got fond memories of the good times and information sharing that used to happen here, I think the prospect of that being a reality going forwards is quite slim
          Indeed, WHC has been left to rot for so long that it's dead, but it would be nice if the owner wasn't exploiting the long history of WHC to post misleading and deceptive adverts for their own brands under the guise of independent reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed-Freethought View Post

Who are HostLeaf exactly? I see you joined just to reply to this post.
            The forum here isn’t very active, but I decided to join as I felt it’d be worth clearing up the forums ownership, as I wasn’t aware you knew about the history of it. HostLeaf is the name for the rebranding of my existing web hosting business.

In relation to GoDaddy, they are using the forum to their own advantage, as no one can stop them.

Comment

Originally posted by HostLeaf View Post
              as no one can stop them.
              There are regulations about "comparison sites" and "affiliate offers" etc, so "no-one" wouldn't be accurate

I've looked for but can't spot the GDPR required "download my data" and "delete me and my stuff" options - anyone got the URLs ?
              Rob Golding Astutium Ltd AS#29527 Company#08183381 Phone#020 3475 2555
              Domain Name Registration - uk domains just £5.55/2 years | DNS Services | Web Hosting from £2.95 | Minecraft Servers from £2.50
              London Docklands Colocation 1u £49.95 | Virtual Private Servers from £4 | Virtual Dedicated Servers from £12 | Managed + Unmanaged Dedicated Servers from £69
              Make more money from domains - Talk to me about our Domain Reseller Accounts and WHMCS modules

Comment

Originally posted by othelloRob View Post
                I've looked for but can't spot the GDPR required "download my data" and "delete me and my stuff" options - anyone got the URLs ?
                Please go to the "User Settings":

Click image for larger version

Name:	GDPR1.png
Views:	181
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	531034
                Select the "Privacy" tab (1):

Click image for larger version

Name:	GDPR2.png
Views:	176
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	531035
                Export Data (2): This allows you to download your personal data associated with this account.

Privacy Consent Status (3):I f the check mark is removed, the user profile will be deleted automatically after 2 days. The username will be anonymized beforehand. If you log into the account again, the profile will not be deleted. After deletion, the profile can no longer be restored.

Comment

Originally posted by Nils Dornblut View Post
                  Privacy Consent Status (3):I f the check mark is removed, the user profile will be deleted automatically after 2 days. The username will be anonymized beforehand. If you log into the account again, the profile will not be deleted. After deletion, the profile can no longer be restored.
                  Thanks, does that also remove all my posts/replies/etc ?
                  Domain Name Registration - uk domains just £5.55/2 years | DNS Services | Web Hosting from £2.95 | Minecraft Servers from £2.50
                  London Docklands Colocation 1u £49.95 | Virtual Private Servers from £4 | Virtual Dedicated Servers from £12 | Managed + Unmanaged Dedicated Servers from £69
                  Make more money from domains - Talk to me about our Domain Reseller Accounts and WHMCS modules

Comment

Originally posted by othelloRob View Post

Thanks, does that also remove all my posts/replies/etc ?
                    No, such a deletion would destroy the discussions or/and the database integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by Nils Dornblut View Post
                      No, such a deletion would destroy the discussions or/and the database integrity.
                      As my posts would be my copyright, could also contain PI data, and that not withstanding, is my right under GDPR to have removed, that's not a concern
                      - please let me know when you will be enabling the option

Comment

The CSV export of data does not contain my posts and images, so doesn't comply with the right to portablity under gdpr
                        - please let me know how to download *all* of my data

Comment

The silence is deafening...

Comment

You cant delete all your Inbox PM(s) (sometimes a page will delete, sometimes it just refreshes and deletes nothing)

There are sent items which accessing crash the sql server

The media section lists the number of images uploaded, but fails to find/manage any

So it's not like you can even do much of a "tidyup" yourself while we wait for details on compliance wit the law !

Comment

The personal data export function is completely useless. I've sent a message five days ago asking for all my data to be deleted but reply not forthcoming yet.

The right to have all data deleted is covered here:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...ht-to-erasure/

Last edited by mandarin; 20th August 2019, 01:41 PM.
                              Mike Clift
                              Mandarin Business Solutions Limited | Hosting for the UK Travel and Tourism Industry

Comment

Working...
                              X