No announcement yet.

GoDaddy shill advertising on WHC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I decided they'd get a couple of weeks to fix any niggles, and then if not satisfied, will be contacting the ICO - the deadline on that is Monday so ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd AS#29527 Company#08183381 Phone#020 3475 2555
    Domain Name Registration - uk domains just £5.55/2 years | DNS Services | Web Hosting from £2.95 | Minecraft Servers from £2.50
    London Docklands Colocation 1u £49.95 | Virtual Private Servers from £4 | Virtual Dedicated Servers from £12 | Managed + Unmanaged Dedicated Servers from £69
    Make more money from domains - Talk to me about our Domain Reseller Accounts and WHMCS modules

Comment

Originally posted by Karl
      I do like the new section how they say "Old unmaintained areas will be removed. These include Web Hosting News, the Hosting Directory, and the Datacentre Directory." but then go and replace it with their own advertising.
      I wouldn't mind if it was just advertising (they own the forum after all), but they're deliberately misleading visitors into thinking that it's an independent review of multiple third party hosting services, rather than just a comparison of their various brands. This would appear to be unlawful on multiple grounds.

I note that not only has Nils Dornblut gone silent about the DPA/GDPR problems raised here, but also never actually addressed the original reason for the thread.

Given the systematic contempt that GoDaddy have demonstrated for both the forum's users and EU/UK law (not just consumer rights, but also GDPR/DPA), I think I'll be following Rob and Mike and having them delete my account along with its ~13k posts.

It's also worth noting that I was a moderator and then an administrator on this forum for a long time. I pretty much single handily cleaned up the spam for a good chunk of that time, which I was happy to do for the good of the forum and the community. Then my administration rights disappeared without any notice - GoDaddy didn't even have the common decency to let me know that they no longer required my assistance (not that anyone else seems to have taken over dealing with the spam), let alone say thank you for all of the hard work that I'd done for free over the years.
      GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

Comment

Ok, times up waiting for a response ...
        A formal complaint to the ICO about the GDPR breaches is going in now.
        Rob Golding Astutium Ltd AS#29527 Company#08183381 Phone#020 3475 2555
        Domain Name Registration - uk domains just £5.55/2 years | DNS Services | Web Hosting from £2.95 | Minecraft Servers from £2.50
        London Docklands Colocation 1u £49.95 | Virtual Private Servers from £4 | Virtual Dedicated Servers from £12 | Managed + Unmanaged Dedicated Servers from £69
        Make more money from domains - Talk to me about our Domain Reseller Accounts and WHMCS modules

Comment

You might be able to automate editing all your posts to remove their content, assuming the threads are not locked.
          Alex Threlfall
          Cyberprog New Media
          www.cyberprog.net
          Most people work around their psychological demons, I harness mine up and take them out for a ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl

They've disabled post deletion. I had my mod privs removed as well at the same time as everyone else, not a word said. Asked for my data to be provided and then removed from the forum as well. 30 days starts now.
            Deletion yes, editing, no...
            Alex Threlfall
            Cyberprog New Media
            www.cyberprog.net
            Most people work around their psychological demons, I harness mine up and take them out for a ride.

Comment

So not only are GoDaddy in breach of advertising rules and failing to comply with their obligations under GDPR/DPA 2018, but they can't even be bothered with basic moderation judging by all of the spam posts...

Comment

Now that GoDaddy has full control over this forum. I believe it is obvious that we're going to see more about GoDaddy and it's subsidiaries on this forum more than before.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by AbigailF View Post
                  Now that GoDaddy has full control over this forum. I believe it is obvious that we're going to see more about GoDaddy and it's subsidiaries on this forum more than before.

Regards.
                  Yes, that's to be expected and is of course their prerogative as the forum owners, however they need to do it in a lawful way which is not deliberately misleading to users.

Comment

/me logs on after x years. Ed is still cranky. /me logs out.
                    Jon Rohan

Please note: My views are my own and not those of the company I work for.

Comment

Working...
                    X