Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many U is a quarter rack?

Dear all,

Please excuse the apparently silly question - but how many U make up a quarter rack?

Irksome

Originally posted by Irksome View Post
    Dear all,

Please excuse the apparently silly question - but how many U make up a quarter rack?

Irksome
    Normally 11U, but it's always worth clarifying as I've seen anywhere between 9U and 12U from various different providers.
    GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

Comment

Exactly as Ed says - some racks "loose" space for the divider shelves so you only get 9 or 10 U - some loose a U or 2 for power distribution..
      Peter Knapp - CCS Leeds Ltd - www.ccsleeds.co.uk
      Coal Road, Leeds. LS14 2AQ / Co. reg: 03507910 / VAT reg: GB 698 2027 05 / Tel: 0113 294 66 99
      UK Leased Lines | Hosted VoIP & SIP Trunks | EFM - Ethernet First Mile
      Free Install and Cisco Router on Fully Managed EFM at up to 20Mb/s only £300 per month

Comment

The "average" rack seems to have shrunk from 48/47u 10 years ago to 42u now
        - primarily driven by places buying the cheaper shorter racks, or using the freebies from Dell.

So 1/4 rack of those is ~10u, giving 8 or 9u usable

Older providers with taller racks tend to equate 1/4 rack to 11u of usable space.
        Rob Golding Astutium Ltd AS#29527 Company#08183381 Phone#020 3475 2555
        Domain Name Registration - uk domains just £5.55/2 years | DNS Services | Web Hosting from £2.95 | Minecraft Servers from £2.50
        London Docklands Colocation 1u £49.95 | Virtual Private Servers from £4 | Virtual Dedicated Servers from £12 | Managed + Unmanaged Dedicated Servers from £69
        Make more money from domains - Talk to me about our Domain Reseller Accounts and WHMCS modules

Comment

I agree with othelloRob

In times of old (when floor space was the premium and racks where 800mm deep) people had 45-48U racks but now 42U 1000mm is becoming the standard.

If you still want secure space but have exceeded 11U there are companies offering third racks (15U) and half racks (22-23U)

But don't spend all your life trying to keep your kit all nicely arranged in a single 'slot' as once you start expanding you'll end up with racks dotted around every floor of many data centres unless you have the foresight (and more importantly capital) to buy yourself a nice bit of head room.
          Gary Coates - ServerHouse Ltd
          Established Colocation provider, Running Two Tier II & Two III data centres from two diverse sites in Hampshire. Bespoke complex managed hosting, 24x7 IT and resilient business connectivity from 100Mbs
          Tel: 01329 800911 - www.serverhouse.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by serverhouse View Post
            But don't spend all your life trying to keep your kit all nicely arranged in a single 'slot' as once you start expanding you'll end up with racks dotted around every floor of many data centres unless you have the foresight (and more importantly capital) to buy yourself a nice bit of head room.
            This - It is such a pita to grow co-location for e.g if i get a 4a quater rack and need to add 2a /5u of kit into the same datacenter I need to get a additional quarter rack and a crossconnect or two to the original space and I may need to do that again in two months time. It's a pain and ends up costing alot the only other alternative is to move to a half rack but that means several hours of downtime. It sucks in a age where everyone is saying space is irrelevent it's all about power that in facility's will excess or very cheap space (read; most) nobody will say lease a full rack with dual 20 amp feeds for say £100/mo and then just charge monthly for power usage allowing really easy growth and it means not paying for power that isn't used - actually I know you do something similar but to have only one facility with this structure is really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by connected View Post
              This - It is such a pita to grow co-location for e.g if i get a 4a quater rack and need to add 2a /5u of kit into the same datacenter I need to get a additional quarter rack and a crossconnect or two to the original space and I may need to do that again in two months time. It's a pain and ends up costing alot the only other alternative is to move to a half rack but that means several hours of downtime. It sucks in a age where everyone is saying space is irrelevent it's all about power that in facility's will excess or very cheap space (read; most) nobody will say lease a full rack with dual 20 amp feeds for say £100/mo and then just charge monthly for power usage allowing really easy growth and it means not paying for power that isn't used - actually I know you do something similar but to have only one facility with this structure is really bad.
              The problem is the upfront capex costs the colo provider has to suffer regardless of power consumption.

They build the facility to an average of kW per rack so every rack they don't have running at the average k is basically UPS and cooling plant which they're having to buy, run and maintain. Most data centre's don't even break even on day to day operational costs until they're at 30% of capacity.

A 100kW CRAC unit doing nothing at all can pull 16amps ~ 415v to run its fans.

And while power is the premium, floor space isn't free, if you start selling off your racks at 20% occupation you end up physically full with 80% more UPS and cooling than you need.

One of our halls is under half full (in the physical sense) but has 70% power usage so we're testing to market to see there is a demand for head room for those of us who don't wish to go through 17 mag locked doors and a man trap every time we need to go from one of our servers to another ;-)
              Gary Coates - ServerHouse Ltd
              Established Colocation provider, Running Two Tier II & Two III data centres from two diverse sites in Hampshire. Bespoke complex managed hosting, 24x7 IT and resilient business connectivity from 100Mbs
              Tel: 01329 800911 - www.serverhouse.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Ed-Freethought View Post
                Normally 11U, but it's always worth clarifying as I've seen anywhere between 9U and 12U from various different providers.
                Exactly the same in my experience also, 11U give or take 1U.

Comment

10-11u

Comment

Working...
                  X