Front to Back TOR Switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front to Back TOR Switches

Out of interest what are people doing with Front -> Back TOR Switches in a Hot/Cold Aisle DC? Do you just install as normal or are people using sleeve's or (Insert other solution here)?
    James Chillman

Cable wise always found putting them at the back easier for cables and avoids loosing a U to pass the cables through
    Simon Gunton
    The views expressed in the above post are mine alone and not necessarily those of anyone else

Comment

Originally posted by SimonGtn View Post
      Cable wise always found putting them at the back easier for cables and avoids loosing a U to pass the cables through
      That's kind of James' point - a front to back cooled switch mounted in reverse in a rack is drawing in air from the hot aisle and exhausting it into he cold aisle!
      GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

Comment

Originally posted by Ed-Freethought View Post
        That's kind of James' point - a front to back cooled switch mounted in reverse in a rack is drawing in air from the hot aisle and exhausting it into he cold aisle!
        So buy a back to front cooled model instead? .
        Chris Burton Astutium Ltd AS29527 Company#08183381 VAT#GB-145054825
        Tel: +44 20 3475 2555 Fax: +44 20 3475 2666
        consultancy - domains - email forwarding - resellers - ecommerce - colo - rackspace - ip transit - secondary mx/dns - dedicated servers - backup/DR
        Views expressed in this post are my own and not Astutium Ltd.

Comment

Originally posted by BurtyB View Post
          I prefer side-to-side - then you screw up all the airflow!
          GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

Comment

Originally posted by BurtyB View Post
            Not all models of kit are made With a Back to front option unfortunatly!
            James Chillman

Comment

Most TOR switches are only ear mount and half depth at most and side to side and so doesn't matter if mounted back to front or front to back
              Simon Gunton
              The views expressed in the above post are mine alone and not necessarily those of anyone else

Comment

Originally posted by SimonGtn View Post
                If your're cabling them differently at the back than at the front, you're doing it wrong ...
                Rob Golding Astutium Ltd AS#29527 Company#08183381 Phone#020 3475 2555
                Domain Name Registration - uk domains just £5.55/2 years | DNS Services | Web Hosting from £2.95 | Minecraft Servers from £2.50
                London Docklands Colocation 1u £49.95 | Virtual Private Servers from £4 | Virtual Dedicated Servers from £12 | Managed + Unmanaged Dedicated Servers from £69
                Make more money from domains - Talk to me about our Domain Reseller Accounts and WHMCS modules

Comment

Well at the front you either need to try and get the cables down the sides of the rack which in 600mm cabs is nearly impossible and so have to go through a 1u brush bar etc
                  Simon Gunton

Comment

If you're not doing it the same front & rear, you're doing it wrong on one of them ...
                    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd AS#29527 Company#08183381 Phone#020 3475 2555
                    Domain Name Registration - uk domains just £5.55/2 years | DNS Services | Web Hosting from £2.95 | Minecraft Servers from £2.50
                    London Docklands Colocation 1u £49.95 | Virtual Private Servers from £4 | Virtual Dedicated Servers from £12 | Managed + Unmanaged Dedicated Servers from £69
                    Make more money from domains - Talk to me about our Domain Reseller Accounts and WHMCS modules

Comment

We mount switches at the back - after all that's where the server Ethernet ports are?

If the fans are to be an issue we just pop the lid and reverse them. Job done. In a CACS install you'll have the switch just circulating the hot aisle air, which isn't an issue anyway as most switches are happy to tolerate modest temperatures. You just have to keep a close eye on things, which you should be doing anyway in the DC.
                      Jonathan Halewood

Virgo Networks - High Quality Web Hosting & Network Services, from Newcastle and the North of England.
                      Standard & Reseller packages available.
                      UK based support from experienced technical staff.
                      Prices start from £2.00 per month.

Comment

Interesting approach (not seen that trick used switches before)

But then aren't you sucking from the servers exhaust?

In truth, the switches are probably more tolerant of the heat than a server case as they're a fixed design.

The hottest hot aisle I've experienced was touching on 42C so still within the realms of 'ok'

We put ours at the front, but a lot (most) installations have them at the rear.
                        Gary Coates - ServerHouse Ltd
                        Established Colocation provider, Running Two Tier II & Two III data centres from two diverse sites in Hampshire. Bespoke complex managed hosting, 24x7 IT and resilient business connectivity from 100Mbs
                        Tel: 01329 800911 - www.serverhouse.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by VN-Jonathan View Post
                          If the fans are to be an issue we just pop the lid and reverse them. Job done.
                          I've seen this done before with Brocade Fibre Channel switches and it ended badly; the internal airflow design relied on negative pressure to pull air over some components which when the fans were reversed caused serious overheating issues!

Where possible we use switches with the correct direction fan trays, if not we simply mount in the front and cable front-> back.
                          Adam Gent
                          Cadence Networks Ltd - cadence.net.uk
                          Cloud Servers | Connectivity | Reliable Web Hosting

Comment

While its far from ideal, not had any issues with C2960/G and C3560/3750G/x TOR facing the "wrong way around". That said our hot aisle is around 27 peak and certainly nothing like 42. We also have roof ran trays running too and the switch being almost touching these doesn't hurt of course.
                            Peter Knapp - CCS Leeds Ltd - www.ccsleeds.co.uk
                            Coal Road, Leeds. LS14 2AQ / Co. reg: 03507910 / VAT reg: GB 698 2027 05 / Tel: 0113 294 66 99
                            UK Leased Lines | Hosted VoIP & SIP Trunks | EFM - Ethernet First Mile
                            Free Install and Cisco Router on Fully Managed EFM at up to 20Mb/s only £300 per month

Comment

My original point was why are you putting them at the front of the rack anyway? As like others have said ethernet ports are at the back? Also is a massive pain when tracing cables to switch ports etc to make sure you have the right one etc
                              Simon Gunton

Comment

Working...
                              X