No announcement yet.

Decent home ISP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but thought I would throw in my two pence worth, I have been with Virgin Media Cable service for 10yrs+ in the Hertfordshire area and have to say they have been rock solid.

Support is mediocre, but thankfully the quality of the connection has been solid so don't have to call support often, I am on 152Mb at the moment and next month will be receiving an upgrade to 200Mb and paying £31.50 per month. The only downside is the very poor upstream of 12Mb which really is dire on a 200Mb connection (not the end of the world though)

Pings are good 11ms (Fluidata/Hemel Hempstead/Speedtest.net) speeds are always top notch 152Mb+

There is traffic shaping but rarely kicks in even when downloading those "Linux Bluray ISOs"
    Last edited by rik; 19th October 2015, 11:16 PM.

Comment

I went with Zen in the end and it's been pretty good, but I'm not sure that it's worth the premium.

There have been a few blips here and there and some worrying stuff on the status site which makes me question how their network is built, but overall not too bad. Still no sign of any kind of IPv6 support, which is pretty poor for a supposedly "pioneering" ISP.

The support is pretty dreadful though - slow to respond and when you do get a response you wish you hadn't bothered asking in the first place! Even their accounts department are a shambles.

Still, better overall than Virgin Media (who I used before for many years with increasing levels of instability, congestion and traffic shaping on top of the god awful support) and Plusnet (who were too incompetent to even install the line).
      GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

Comment

Originally posted by Ed-Freethought View Post
        Still, better overall than Virgin Media (who I used before for many years with increasing levels of instability, congestion and traffic shaping on top of the god awful support) and Plusnet (who were too incompetent to even install the line).
        It is amazing just how bad Virgin Media can be for some people in certain areas of the country, I guess that boils down years of under investment in some areas when it was Telecential/Blueyonder. Luckily in my area, the network is in pretty good shape, but just a few miles up the road it can be awful, oversubscribed and congested.

A bit of a lottery and it shouldn't really be like that.

Comment

Originally posted by rik View Post
          It is amazing just how bad Virgin Media can be for some people in certain areas of the country, I guess that boils down years of under investment in some areas when it was Telecential/Blueyonder. Luckily in my area, the network is in pretty good shape, but just a few miles up the road it can be awful, oversubscribed and congested.

A bit of a lottery and it shouldn't really be like that.
          I'm in an ex-NTL area (and Diamond Cable before that). From what a friend of mine who worked at Virgin Media told me, the NTL side of things was by far the worse of the two networks and Telewest/Blueyonder at least ran their network in a vaguely competent manner.

The problem that all cable companies have is that they use a shared medium which was originally designed for broadcast services (TV) and not unicast data - the coax for your cable connection goes back to the head end via a series of passive splitters and taps, so there is a finite amount of RF spectrum shared between all customers on that particular section of cabling, which in turn limits the total bandwidth available.

This is in contrast to *DSL providers where you have a dedicated copper pair from your property to the DSLAM (either in the exchange for ADSL/SDSL or in the street cabinet for VDSL) before you are aggregated onto the shared backhaul (which is where the contention occurs on *DSL).

In theory, if managed properly there shouldn't be any significant difference between the two architectures, but with the market being commoditised and prices being driven ever lower the network capacity often isn't managed properly and upgrades won't be performed until it is so bad that there is a threat of losing customers.

One of the biggest problems that I had was when Virgin Media took the upstream from 1.5Mbps to 5Mbps on the top package at the time. They seemingly hadn't done any capacity planning at all before hand and simply ran out of bandwidth on the part of the network that I was hung off, so I had several months of heavy congestion at peak times whilst they added another line card to the CMTS/UBR and physically split the network segment in half in order to balance customers between the two ports. There wasn't any FTTC (VDSL) available in the area at the time, so I was stuck with the choice of either a crap Virgin Media connection or ADSL2.

Comment

I'm in an ex-NTL area (and Diamond Cable before that). From what a friend of mine who worked at Virgin Media told me, the NTL side of things was by far the worse of the two networks and Telewest/Blueyonder at least ran their network in a vaguely competent manner.

The problem that all cable companies have is that they use a shared medium which was originally designed for broadcast services (TV) and not unicast data - the coax for your cable connection goes back to the head end via a series of passive splitters and taps, so there is a finite amount of RF spectrum shared between all customers on that particular section of cabling, which in turn limits the total bandwidth available.

This is in contrast to *DSL providers where you have a dedicated copper pair from your property to the DSLAM (either in the exchange for ADSL/SDSL or in the street cabinet for VDSL) before you are aggregated onto the shared backhaul (which is where the contention occurs on *DSL).

In theory, if managed properly there shouldn't be any significant difference between the two architectures, but with the market being commoditised and prices being driven ever lower the network capacity often isn't managed properly and upgrades won't be performed until it is so bad that there is a threat of losing customers.

One of the biggest problems that I had was when Virgin Media took the upstream from 1.5Mbps to 5Mbps on the top package at the time. They seemingly hadn't done any capacity planning at all before hand and simply ran out of bandwidth on the part of the network that I was hung off, so I had several months of heavy congestion at peak times whilst they added another line card to the CMTS/UBR and physically split the network segment in half in order to balance customers between the two ports. There wasn't any FTTC (VDSL) available in the area at the time, so I was stuck with the choice of either a crap Virgin Media connection or ADSL2.
            Yes definitely a lottery dependant on where you live and who managed/designed the network before VM bought it all, and luckily I have had very good service connection wise and long may it continue. Really there is no other option for myself as geographically I cannot get any further away from the local telephone exchange.

I recently assisted a neighbour who was having a nightmare with PlusNet and Openreach and a bodged unfinished install, no one wanted to take responsibility for the issues, it was a total farce until I finally emailed the CEO of PlusNet to get some traction regarding the complaint. Her contract was with PlusNet but all we got was excuses and PlusNet basically washing their hands and blaming BT Open reach for all the issues which was not very professional of them even if true, her contract was with PlusNet and they should have taken responsibility.

Anyway to cut a long story short it got sorted and her superfast fibre connection runs at a whopping 15Mb which is an embarrassment really, I don't consider that superfast, pretty abysmal tbh. So thank god for Virgin Media and their service in my area, without it, it would feel like going back to the 56k days for me 15Mb fibre lol

Comment

I went with Zen in the end and it's been pretty good, but I'm not sure that it's worth the premium.

There have been a few blips here and there and some worrying stuff on the status site which makes me question how their network is built, but overall not too bad. Still no sign of any kind of IPv6 support, which is pretty poor for a supposedly "pioneering" ISP.
              I am on Zen and I am running native IPv6, Back in August they started doing IPv6 trials.
              I can't find it on their blog at the moment. UK ISP Zen Internet Expands IPv6 Trial to Entire Customer Base - ISPreview UK

You can request access to the trial at http://love.zen.co.uk/l/70492/2015-08-04/h8pww

Comment

Yes definitely a lottery dependant on where you live and who managed/designed the network before VM bought it all, and luckily I have had very good service connection wise and long may it continue. Really there is no other option for myself as geographically I cannot get any further away from the local telephone exchange.

I recently assisted a neighbour who was having a nightmare with PlusNet and Openreach and a bodged unfinished install, no one wanted to take responsibility for the issues, it was a total farce until I finally emailed the CEO of PlusNet to get some traction regarding the complaint. Her contract was with PlusNet but all we got was excuses and PlusNet basically washing their hands and blaming BT Open reach for all the issues which was not very professional of them even if true, her contract was with PlusNet and they should have taken responsibility.

Anyway to cut a long story short it got sorted and her superfast fibre connection runs at a whopping 15Mb which is an embarrassment really, I don't consider that superfast, pretty abysmal tbh. So thank god for Virgin Media and their service in my area, without it, it would feel like going back to the 56k days for me 15Mb fibre lol
                The hilarious thing whenever Plusnet try to blame BT or OpenReach is that Plusnet are owned by BT Group and have been for years!

Comment

Originally posted by Epaphus View Post
                  I am on Zen and I am running native IPv6, Back in August they started doing IPv6 trials.
                  I can't find it on their blog at the moment. UK ISP Zen Internet Expands IPv6 Trial to Entire Customer Base - ISPreview UK

You can request access to the trial at http://love.zen.co.uk/l/70492/2015-08-04/h8pww
                  Well they did a good job of advertising that to their own customers! Sigh.

Thanks for the link, I've signed up. Lets see if they manage to do this without screwing anything up...

Comment

Thanks for the link, I've signed up. Lets see if they manage to do this without screwing anything up...
                    Emails on UKNOT the other week think someone was saying it took them a week or 2 to actually sort it out as it's a manuel process
                    Simon Gunton
                    The views expressed in the above post are mine alone and not necessarily those of anyone else

Comment

I saw it on their Twitter feed, don't recall a mail out.
                      Took a couple of weeks for them to set it setup.

It was fairly painless, bit of pain that it doesn't look like I can run RA and DHCPv6 client on the same interface PPPoE interface on my SRX. So I don't have a public address on the PPPoE interface, you need to do the DHCPv6 client request so that they know which address to route the /48 to.

When I spoke to support it seemed to be a known issue that some routers wouldn't pickup an RA address on the PPPoE interface if DHCPv6 client was also configured.

Comment

A&A have a deal where they'll take your neighbour on and sort the connection, and if they can't you don't pay anything IIRC.

They're more expensive than most other ISP's, but totally worth it. They are who I use.

AAISP Broadband Money Back Guarantee
                        Last edited by Cyberprog; 25th October 2015, 05:37 PM.
                        Alex Threlfall
                        Cyberprog New Media
                        www.cyberprog.net
                        Most people work around their psychological demons, I harness mine up and take them out for a ride.

Comment

3 weeks on and no sign of the IPv6 trial yet.

They have had the time to put my prices up (without properly notifying me) though.

Comment

Entanet?
                            ••• Mark Castle •••

Comment

Working...
                            X