Network/FTP Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network/FTP Issue

I am having trouble connecting to FTP for a client, they are able to connect and so is my other developer, so it leads me to believe it is related to my network, I have connected directly to the modem and the issue persists. filezilla is getting stuck at this point:
    Response: 200 Type set to I
    Command: PASV
    Error: Connection timed out
    Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

Any ideas?
    Peter, WHMCSDesigns.com

Originally posted by WHMCSDesigns View Post
    I am having trouble connecting to FTP for a client, they are able to connect and so is my other developer, so it leads me to believe it is related to my network, I have connected directly to the modem and the issue persists. filezilla is getting stuck at this point:
    Response: 200 Type set to I
    Command: PASV
    Error: Connection timed out
    Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

Any ideas?
    Have you got any of the SSL/TLS options enabled?
    GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

Comment

Have you got a firewall on the box?
      Simon Gunton
      The views expressed in the above post are mine alone and not necessarily those of anyone else

Comment

Try Active mode if PASV/passive mode is failing - Changing FileZilla's active and passive FTP settings
        Carl Heaton
        Pipe Ten Ltd - Company #04511809 - VAT #829947763 and Pipe Ten Hosting Ltd - Company #5823310 - VAT #886774158
        ASP.NET hosting | Sheffield Servers | Reseller Friendly | Domains

Comment

Originally posted by carl^ View Post
          Try Active mode if PASV/passive mode is failing - Changing FileZilla's active and passive FTP settings
          This worked, I actually tried this before and it didn't work but this time I unchecked "Allow fall back to other transfer mode on failure" and it worked.

Thanks!
          Peter, WHMCSDesigns.com

Comment

what does it do/say when you try FTP from a command prompt locally ?
            Rob Golding Astutium Ltd AS#29527 Company#08183381 Phone#020 3475 2555
            Domain Name Registration - uk domains just £5.55/2 years | DNS Services | Web Hosting from £2.95 | Minecraft Servers from £2.50
            London Docklands Colocation 1u £49.95 | Virtual Private Servers from £4 | Virtual Dedicated Servers from £12 | Managed + Unmanaged Dedicated Servers from £69
            Make more money from domains - Talk to me about our Domain Reseller Accounts and WHMCS modules

Comment

Is the server a Windows server? If so, use Active Mode not Passive.
              Chris at TDMWeb.com
              Superior quality web and email hosting with great customer service!
              (VAT No: 474698684)

Comment

Originally posted by carl^ View Post
                This worked, I had tried this before and it didnt work, but this time I unchecked the box that says something like default to passive mode if the above mode fails.
                Peter, WHMCSDesigns.com

Comment

Switching to Active mode worked. I had tried this before and it didn't work, but this time I unchecked the box that says something like, default to passive mode if active mode fails. Thanks for the help
                  Peter, WHMCSDesigns.com

Comment

You need to open the port range for passive FTP, or ideally enable connection tracking in the firewall (will depend on what firewall you're using)

Comment

But when I disable my firewall it still doesn't work? Is it a bad idea to just use active now that it is working?
                      Peter, WHMCSDesigns.com

Comment

But when I disable my firewall it still doesn't work?
                        The FTP service should ideally be specifying the PassivePorts range, which is allowed outbound from the server firewalls to the client. The problems start when you have NAT anywhere between you and the server which as bilco said might be managed via or require an FTP helper for state tracking and forwarding.

Is it a bad idea to just use active now that it is working?
                        ACTIVE vs PASV doesn't really matter, whichever works, though if you're not using SSL or VPN with the FTP you might want to consider a more secure protocol.
                        Carl Heaton
                        Pipe Ten Ltd - Company #04511809 - VAT #829947763 and Pipe Ten Hosting Ltd - Company #5823310 - VAT #886774158
                        ASP.NET hosting | Sheffield Servers | Reseller Friendly | Domains

Comment

Working...
                        X