10GBase-T vs SFP+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10GBase-T vs SFP+

What are people's opinions on 10GBase-T vs SFP+ when it comes to hooking up servers to switches within a rack?

SFP+ seems to have much broader support among switch manufacturers, but 10GBase-T seems to be creeping in with the server manufacturers.

When the servers and switches are going to be pretty much adjacent to each other, it seems to me that 10GBase-T has the clear advantage over SFP+ in terms of both cabling cost and neatness/manageability both for DAC and fibre.
    GoDaddy are abusing WHC with shill advertising

We have always gone with SFP+, the main reason being if we have 48x10G ports, the chances of us NOT using fibre on one of the those ports is very slim, even within the same DC suite.

That being said we do have a lot of in-rack cabling as well which we just used 2M DACs for, although we did also get some custom length ones from Fiberstore to keep things neat.
    Volkan Dil | EX Networks - www.exn.uk
    Colocation | Rackspace | Remote Hands | Managed Services | Virtualisation | Hosting
    0800 934 7100 | @EXNetworks | EX Networks Ltd. 133 Creek Road, Greenwich, London, SE8 3BU

Comment

Originally posted by EXN-Volkan View Post
      We have always gone with SFP+, the main reason being if we have 48x10G ports, the chances of us NOT using fibre on one of the those ports is very slim, even within the same DC suite.

That being said we do have a lot of in-rack cabling as well which we just used 2M DACs for, although we did also get some custom length ones from Fiberstore to keep things neat.
      How manageable are the DACs once you get a load of them in a rack? They seem quite bulky and cumbersome.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed-Freethought View Post
        How manageable are the DACs once you get a load of them in a rack? They seem quite bulky and cumbersome.
        We use DACs, don't find them that different to CAT5 cable management wise. Will get a picture up at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed-Freethought View Post
          Exactly what Bilco105 said, the passive 10G DA cables are no different to Cat5, the 40G QSFP DAs are a bit thicker, but with some velcro you can manage them just fine. I will try and get some pics next time I'm on site.
          Colocation | Rackspace | Remote Hands | Managed Services | Virtualisation | Hosting
          0800 934 7100 | @EXNetworks | EX Networks Ltd. 133 Creek Road, Greenwich, London, SE8 3BU

Comment

The last set of DACs that I used were FC and quite old, so modern SFP+ ones may be a lot better or maybe my memory is playing tricks on me - they were similar to thick coax, which made them a bugger to go in the direction that you wanted!

Comment

The 10G passive DA cables we have are thinner than Cat5e. I believe active DAs are even thinner. QSFP on the other hand is thicker, but still quite flexible.

Comment

Yup DAs here as well. Although some fibre looks cooler, a DA pair for 30 quid or whatever they are (can't recall from the top of my head) is cheaper than the SFP+ on its own.. Cable is thinner than the 5e we use although less flexible
                Peter Knapp - CCS Leeds Ltd - www.ccsleeds.co.uk
                Coal Road, Leeds. LS14 2AQ / Co. reg: 03507910 / VAT reg: GB 698 2027 05 / Tel: 0113 294 66 99
                UK Leased Lines | Hosted VoIP & SIP Trunks | EFM - Ethernet First Mile
                Free Install and Cisco Router on Fully Managed EFM at up to 20Mb/s only £300 per month

Comment

Originally posted by Karl
                  10GB-T still uses too much power for my liking
                  That seems odd - would have thought that SFP+ would be more power hungry (for some reason) given the external module.

Originally posted by Karl
                  which is annoying given that most 10GE on motherboards is now 10GB-T.
                  Yeah, that's why we're looking at 10GBase-T.

Comment

Working...
                  X